Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Triangle Scarf Pattern

I went looking for a pattern for the "Sweet November" scarf that Charlize Theron (sp?) is wearing in the movie. I tried out one of them, but even after I figured out how to read the pattern and attempted it for the 3rd time, it wasn't even long enough to wrap around my neck. Just goes to show you can't always trust the comments left by others. So... I made my own pattern using the same double crochet method and it turned out great. It isn't as long as the shawl in the movie, but it makes a cute little triangular scarf that is the perfect length. I love it, so I thought I would share. Here it is:

Triangle Scarf:

Used a J Hook with medium Bernat Worsted Weight yarn, grey color

To start: Ch 3, sl st in first ch, ch 3 (counts at first dc now and throughout), turn
Row 1: 3(dc, ch1) in chain space, ch 2, turn
Row 2: 2(dc, ch1) in first ch space, (dc, ch1) in second ch space, 3(dc, ch1)  in third ch space, ch 2 more, turn (at this point, you should have 6 chain spaces after finishing the third row)
Row 3: 2(dc, ch1) in first ch sp, dc ch1, dc ch1, dc ch1, dc ch1, 3(dc, ch1) in last ch sp, ch 2 more, turn (should now have 9 chain spaces)


Row 4-35: Follow directions for row 3 until finished. You can add more rows for added length.

If you are finding the scarf has some unwanted curving, wet the entire thing in cold water, squeeze out the excess (DON'T twist!) and pin/tack it to a flat surface. I just tacked it to my bathroom wall, stretching the edges to keep them as straight as possible. Let it dry overnight. It also helps with any stiff/curled corners.

Then equally cut pieces of yarn to tie around the edges for the frill (use a book, DVD, small box, etc).

Finished measurements were about 18 x 60 inches.

Finished project:




Email with any questions! This is my first pattern, so let me know if there are any issues :)

No comments:

Post a Comment