Sunday, February 13, 2011

Monumental Day

My fiance and I want a family more than anything. We both knew that it was the time in our relationship where we could start considering starting a family. When I was in grade school, I remember having a conversation with a classmate about our future plans for a family. My mother had given birth to all three of her children before the age of 25, so naturally I thought that was what everyone did. I told my classmate that I wanted the same thing for myself, and she responded by telling me that I a going to be a slutt when I grow up. Regardless, I always knew that I wanted to have kids at a young age. I have had ongoing baby fever since I was 18 years old, and it's not letting up any time soon.

I had begun Depo Provera shots in December of 2009, took my second (and last) shot in March of 2010 and have been suffering from the effects over since (I won't go in to detail, it's way too much information). I had no idea how badly that shot could mess up your entire system. After the 6 months of treatment, I stopped getting the shot and hoped that the prolonged effects of it wouldn't last as long as the internet articles said they would.

A year after my last shot, my cycles finally regulated and I ovulated for the first time in months. I knew this because I had been tracking my Basal Body temperatures on fertilityfriend.com (we were serious about this whole family making thing...). Despite the ovulation signs and careful planning, I was skeptical to say the least. My body has been through hell and back. The chances of me conceiving without medical intervention seemed slim at best. Today I learned to never doubt what your own body can handle.

Despite my own doubts, I had been tracking my "days post ovulation" and have been taking pregnancy tests as early as I could. The first 2 came up negative (9 and 10 days post ovulation), so I didn't bother testing on the third day (11dpo). Today I woke up at 11:00am after a 12 hour night shift. I had taken my BBT at 8:00am (after only 1.5 hours of sleep, but at least 4 is recommended for accurate temps) and it looked like it was starting to take a nose dive, which means no pregnancy. I took my temp again at 11:00am to see if it would be different after I had slept for the recommended time. It was sky high, which is a good sign for pregnancy. I charted my 8:00am temp anyway, then went to the bathroom. I had told myself I wasn't testing again until Valentine's Day. Then I found myself tearing open a ClearBlue Easy test and off I went. I stood in the bathroom staring at the test and after about 30 seconds, I could see a faint blue test line appear. I was in disbelief. I stood there for a few more minutes and tried to figure out if it was just my mind playing tricks on me. My baby-crazy mind trying to convince me that I see a blue line. After about 30 minutes the line was unmistakable. I took pictures of it, put it on the computer and started at it on my screen. Yep, definite blue line. I took it up to Bryan to get his opinion. "Well it isn't that dark... I don't think it's positive..." I explained to him that the fact that there is ANYTHING there is cause for cautious celebration. I say cautious because blue dye preg tests are infamous for giving false positives. I was excited, and I think he was too in his own reserved way. It is way too early to be excited about anything that huge, so we are keeping out emotions in check.

I took another picture of the darker line and decided to take a pink dye tomorrow to confirm. Here is a picture of the final test reading:


A definite think blue line, but we will see how accurate it is tomorrow. SO EXCITED!

No comments:

Post a Comment